I have never felt betrayed with a football transfer before. These things happen, I usually understand the motivation behind them even if they’re superficial—money, not enough playing time, moving to a “retirement” league.
I’ve never felt betrayed, until today.
Xabi Alonso literally had months to work out this transfer. The Kroos deal was done DURING the World Cup, and announced immediately following it. (Not to mention, I don’t even buy the fact that the Kroos deal pushed him out. Di Maria was the one most effected by the deal, and he understandably left when the club wouldn’t offer him a better contract—that he deserved).
So you’re telling me out of all this time, he waited until the LAST 6 DAYS OF THE TRANSFER WINDOW, knowing we wouldn’t be able to get a replacement in time, and moved to Bayern Munich.
I can’t even wax reflective on this anymore I’m just gonna list the shit I think is dicky about this move:
- the aforementioned WAITING UNTIL THE LAST 6/5 DAYS OF THE TRANSFER WINDOW TO PUSH THIS MOVE
- the fact sources state that NOBODY AT THE CLUB KNEW HE WANTED THIS MOVE UNTIL HE PUSHED IT IN THE LAST WEEK
- the fact sources state that THE PLAYERS DIDN’T KNOW UNTIL THEY HEARD IT IN THE MEDIA
- The fact that THIS ISN’T A RETIREMENT MOVE in the way he’s playing it off. If Xabi was going back to Real Sociedad, or even LIVERPOOL, I’d be like “okay, he’s 32 he wants to get settled before retiring”. But NO, he’s going to BAYERN MUNICH who in recent years has re surged with a rivalry with Real Madrid in Europe that is one of the fiercest and most sensitive in recent memory.
Xabi was THERE in 2010. HE GOT YELLOW CARDED AND MISSED THE FINAL AGAINST THEM. He knows what they mean.
- What explanation does he have for the move anyways? He’s moving literally to a different club that can offer him NOTHING that Real Madrid can’t offer him, only in a country where he can’t speak the language, and away from his family. Where is the justification? (And don’t give me he’s afraid of not starting because he replaced his alleged “replacement” in Illaramendi when he got off injury).
- He’s going now because he wanted to play for Pep Guardiola? Really? what a slap in the face.
There’s probably more but that’s why Xabi doesn’t get any brownie points. Oh he said nice things about the club in the presser, ACTIONS speak louder than words.
Bye Xabi. IDK, maybe we’ll need you, maybe we won’t. But I won’t miss someone that did us so wrong like that. And that’s a shame because under any other situation, I’d probs be bawling over this.
Has the salt from Bayern Munich stans moved the Aegean Sea yet?