RealPathetique’s Best Players of All Time Draft
Hello everyone. So now that the World Cup is over (thank goodness), I thought of an interesting game we could play. I’ve planned out a game where players will draft their “History’s greatest XI” so to speak.
This is a Draft. I know not many people are familiar with the “draft” format, especially if you only follow European football, so this is how the draft will work: (Also THIS LINK is a good video to explain everything quickly)
- Each person will effectively be a manager of a team. They can name their team if they wish.
- There will be 11 rounds. Each round will represent one chance for the person to choose one player of their Starting XI.
- In a draft format then, once a person before you has chosen that player, you can’t choose them again. So basically if the order is Person A, Person B, and Person C, and Person A drafted Zinedine Zidane, Zizou is theirs. B and C can’t choose him because he’s not in the pool anymore.
- The objective is to try and predict and adapt your Starting XI as best as you can, as the game continues. This allows each person to have an entirely unique Starting XI.
- Draft will be 11 rounds. Draft order will be determined through random number selection (aka I’ll choose names from a hat to keep it fair).
- Draft will be in Snake Format. Meaning for the first round we will keep the draft order moving from 1-6, for the 2nd round it will start from 6 and go back to 1, with the 3rd round going back to 1-6, etc.
- You will be making your selections from this pool of players:
Chosen from 3 sources: FIFA Greatest 100, Top 125 ranking of CL appearances, and IFFHS World’s Best GK Award Winners. Some players were added to even out the numbers based on their appearances on “World’s Best” lists on football websites, and were added as “Wild Cards” denoted with (WC) next to their names.
4. You will have 30 seconds to make your selection. If not you will skip your turn and have to wait until the end of the draft to make it up.
5. No Trades. Who you draft, is who you get.
6. After all the Starting XIs are decided, I’ll post them up for voting. Person with the team that has the most votes, WINS. (IMPORTANT NOTE: You win nothing. This is just for fun. I am poor.)
How to Play:
- SIGN UPS ARE LOCATED HERE Please write your twitter username as it will be easier for me to contact you. I’d like to get at least 6 people, with a max of 10.
- The Draft will be Held on:
Saturday, August 2, 2014. At 20:00 GMT or 3 PM EST. (Basically it will be held at the time games are usually held).
- It will be held in a large group chat that I will send links to over twitter when everyone is online. People are free to come and watch that way, so you can see how your friends will choose their history’s greatest players list. If there’s enough interest I’ll open a 2nd chat for everyone to comment on how good picks were, shit picks were, trashtalking, etc, just to keep things organized.
I hope everyone thinks this is a good idea. I think it’s a good way to a) get everyone away from the wank of the World Cup, and b) introduce newcomers to a bunch of the old legends they may not be accustomed to yet.
Any questions, you can contact me here, or at my twitter at Realpathetique.
Cristiano Ronaldo or Michael Jackson? | July 22, 2014
Why did you post that Kroos quote and disrespect Bayern? Bayern is the best club, not Madrid.
The truth hurts, doesn’t it?
Y’all are so mean not explaining, maybe they just learn using visual aids.
Here you go:
Real Madrid Playing Card Series: Cristiano Ronaldo as the King of Diamonds
The King of Diamonds, a natural born leader as the master of values, is quite enterprising as well. They appreciate competition, know what is of real value and have the inherent leadership skills to achieve success in their given field of expertise. (X)
Previous in the series: Iker Casillas as the King of Clubs
Real Madrid Playing Card Series: Iker Casillas as the King of Clubs
King of Clubs people prefer positions in which they are respected and admired. Often good communicators, they lead through their words and ideas. Appreciating good humor and good company, they are often welcomed in a circle of friends. (X)